Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mable Lake


 I went out this morning for the first time on Mable Lake and really lucked out. As this is a big lake and it was a bit overcast I was a little concerned that it might be a bit tough going, but the weather was perfect and the lake was extremely calm. I would rather be out on this lake than Shuswap Lake any day, there were far more fishermen and less water skiers which makes for a lot less wake:)

I kayaked up to the point directly across from Cottonwood bay and was able to get out on a nice little bit of beach and stretch my legs, there's a bit of a campsite there and no signs stating you can't camp there so I assume it's available.

There are two pictograph sites before this beach, the first one has a number of symbols and is not in great shape anymore so I had a hard time understanding the images. The second site which I have included photo's of was really interesting, again it had some symbols I could not understand, I have heard that this pictograph means good fishing so I did wonder if some of the images were of fish that have been filleted, just my guess? I love the deer drawing, there is one similar at the Mara Lake site as well. I thought it was neat that you could see paint drips on the rocks below the pictograph, I could really visualize the artist at that spot when I saw those, I'm an artist so I think it might be an artists thing.



I had the privilege of having a Kingfisher fly about 50-75 meters ahead of me the whole way to the pictograph site, it would just stop and wait up, then when I got too close it would fly off again find a perch and wait all over again. Well at least I'd like to think he was joining me, maybe I just happened to be going the same direction??

I put in at the River Mouth boat launch as the other one a bit farther down the road is private, crowded and there is a small charge to launch your boat. Although Mable Lake is a bit farther than I am used to traveling to "put in" it was well worth the drive and I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment