Sunday, April 1, 2012

Bald Eagles duck hunting on Shuswap Lake, B.C. Canada

In November of 2010 I was expecting a uneventful, last of the season outing in my kayak. That is exactly what I did not have.

A group of a couple hundred waterfowl flew over my head, the sound was phenomenal. What I did not realize was a group of four Bald Eagles were chasing the flock. I saw a lot of splashing about 100 meters ahead but could not make out what exactly was going on so decided to check it out. Once I got a bit closer an eagle took off from the water surface and a few seconds later a very terrorized looking duck popped it's dishevelled head out of the water to only duck down seconds later when a eagle swooped down. The four eagles took turns swooping until one finally grabbed the duck, flew off to the shore and perched on a rock to start it's feast.

The video I did get on my camera is shaky and does not do the scene justice but I thought I'd post it anyway!




No comments:

Post a Comment