Friday, October 14, 2011

Blake Point, Magna Bay, B.C. Pictographs

Moose and Hunters Pictograph



I am lucky enough to still have some holiday days left and choose a great day to use one up!

 I put in in Eagle Bay and kayaked across the lake to Blake Point in search of the pictographs. They were exactly opposite of where I thought they might be, right beside a beach and beach staircase up the side of the cliff. They are very weathered and I could not make out many of the figures. I did manage to climb up a rock wall and get a close up of a moose with two hunters, which is really cool as my Husband and I have always loved moose.

It was really neat to see such a thick vein of quartz and it just kept going down under the water.

Quartz vein above and under the water
I love kayaking in the fall, I just lay a blanket on the bottom of my kayak, put on my spray skirt and I stay quite comfortable. And one of the best things is, I don't have to stress about being run over by other watercraft, I only saw one other vessel out there and it was at least one kilometer from me.
I will probably re-post about these pictographs when I have a little more time to zoom in and play with the contrast a bit more and hopefully get some clear images.

The middle of Shuswap Lake looking towards Copper Island

Pictograph






 


No comments:

Post a Comment