Monday, June 11, 2012

Zen Paddling

Luck was on my side today, I had a day off and the weather was stellar! After dropping my daughter off at work I headed to Canoe to launch my kayak and head across to Heralds Park.

I often find when I am out kayaking by myself that I have some really great ``ah ha`` moments, and today was a pretty profound one! I love the water,(I don`t put much stock into the horoscope or signs but I am a Pisces so maybe there is something to it) and would just love to live on the lake. As I kayak past the waterfront homes and cabins I admit I do feel envy for the owners of those homes and today was no exception. In fact my neck was getting a little sore from scoping out all the beautiful homes, and then something clicked. I realized that I was missing out on what was going on around me, missing out on the calm lake, the creatures around me. Just as I snapped out of my envy trance` a little fish jumped a few feet on the other side of my kayak. I`d like to say that I stayed present for the rest of my paddle, not quite, but there sure was a vast improvement in my attitude and perspective.

I read a book on walking a few years ago and one of the points that stuck with me I think could also be applied to paddling. That with the rhythm of walking (or paddling in this case) our thoughts slow down and instead of racing around and really getting no where with them we are more able to problem solve or see situations from a different perspective. I was once told that we can think 600 words per minute but we can only write 150 words per minute, and that`s one of the reasons it is helpful to journal. I think paddling has a similar effect.

Thank goodness for some good weather!



Looking towards Sicamous

No comments:

Post a Comment